The history of our congregation goes back to the time when members of the First Baptist Church of Saint John, now Germain Street Baptist Church, were concerned about sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with the people in Grand Bay. The pastor, Rev. Charles Tupper, began to hold worship in Grand Bay in 1840, eventually baptizing twelve people. Mr. Matthias Hamm donated a piece of land in 1845 and a place of worship was built on our present site.
In 1881 the Grand Bay congregation requested that they be released from the Germain Street Church and became affiliated with the Fairville Baptist Church. For a number of years the Home Mission Board of the United Baptist Convention of the Maritimes provided support for a preaching station in Grand Bay. In 1928 the Grand Bay Baptist Church was formally re-organized with a Deacon, Mr. G. B. Cromwell, a Clerk, Mr. Ora Carson, and Trustees, Mr. Henry Hamm, Mr. George Hamm and Mr. David Hamm. The Pastor was a student, Licentiate A. W. Akerley who ministered in the community during the summer.
For the next couple of decades the pastors from nearby churches, students and laymen, as well as members of the congregation provided leadership for our church. Over time our congregation co-operated with the Oak Point, Greenwich Hill and Brown's Flat congregations to share the responsibility for having a full-time pastor, Rev. Morris Russell. During the ministry of Mr. Russell (1956-1960) and his successor, Rev. George Conway (1960-65), a major expansion of the building took place. While Rev. Peter Downie was the pastor the Grand Bay Church went on its own (1968) and the following year a parsonage was built (1969), with Rev. Chester Steeves and family being the first occupants.
Rev. Winston Clark became pastor in October 1973, and during his eight-year ministry the Lord continued to bless our church so that more than one hundred people became Christians. It was during this time that an outreach was conducted to the north west, eventually resulting in the planting of a Baptist Church in Nerepis. In October 1981, Rev. Roger Moore became pastor and the growth continued so that steps were taken to extend the church facilities to include a new sanctuary. It was during this time that Miss Melody Williams became Director of Music and Christian Education. Before the new sanctuary was complete Pastor Roger Moore resigned in 1985. Rev. Willard Smith served as interim pastor until Rev. Jack Allen began ministry in September 1986. May 10, 1987 the new facilities were dedicated. In 1989 Miss Sue Arbeau became Youth Director and Rev. Bennett Saunders became interim pastor when Pastor Allen left September that same year.
In August 1990, Rev. Robert Nickerson became pastor and Rev. Bennett Saunders became Pastor Emeritus with the ministry of visitation and Mrs. Barb Rogers began serving as Director of Music. In September 1995, Rev. Peter Reid became Senior Pastor, and in 1997 Mr. Danny Radmore began ministry as Youth Pastor. Danny resigned in 1999 and the same year Mr. Jodie LeBouthillier became Associate Pastor with responsibilities for Youth. When Pastor Reid resigned in 2000, Dr. Bob Berry became interim Senior Pastor until Rev. Edward Powell began ministry in August 2001.
In June 2007 Pastor LeBouthillier finished ministry with us and in December of that year our church voted to call Mr. Adrian Gardner as Associate Pastor. Adrian began full-time ministry July 2008.
Our deacons recognized the expanding demands of ministry and recommended that we explore adding pastoral staff. In 2011 the congregation agreed to a proposal to ask Pastor Powell to take on the ministry of pastoral care, prayer and outreach and to search for a Lead Pastor. In 2012 the church voted to call Rev. Dr. Malcolm Beckett to be Lead Pastor to begin in September. Pastor Powell resigned in 2014, and Pastor Adrian resigned in 2015. In 2017, Rev. Dan Pyke began ministry as Associate Pastor, with emphasis on community outreach and youth ministry.